Egg Foo Younger is a fluffy Chinese egg omelette filled with veggies and pork or shrimp, smothered in a tasty Chinese Sauce. An simple Chinese recipe that’s swift to make and versatile as you want it to be.
Homemade Chinese takeout recipes are a single of my favourite rapid dinners, from Chow Mein to Beef and Broccoli, Cashew Chicken to Kung Pao Chicken. Although Egg Foo Youthful may not be an genuine Chinese recipe, we adore it anyway!
Egg Foo Young – terrific rapid dinner thought!
I know most of us feel of omelettes as a breakfast factor and no matter how usually I endorse it for dinner, I feel like it will by no means stick.
But trust the Chinese to come up with a way to plant omelettes firmly in the dinner rotation!!
“Egg Foo Younger is a recipe invented to use up leftovers. So don’t get too hung up if you don’t have all the greens – in fact, you Should use what you have!”
What is Egg Foo Younger?
Egg Foo Young is a Chinese omelette – egg mixed with greens and usually some kind of protein (prawns / shrimp or pork are typical) then smothered in a Chinese stir fry sauce.
The fillings fluctuate as significantly as the name, which is at times spelled egg foo yung, egg fu yung or egg foo yong. Type of like the many spelling variations we see for San Choy Bow (Chinese Lettuce Cups)!
Egg Foo Younger seems on Chinese menus in some countries just as “omelette”. Often they are smaller, like I’ve created them, and at times as large as dinner plates!
The Egg Foo Younger Formula
Egg Foo Youthful can be manufactured with almost any veggies and proteins simply because it’s a recipe that evolved as a way to use up leftovers. Use:
2 cups of “stuff” for every single six eggs.
“Stuff” being cooked proteins, raw shrimp/prawns, fish, mince/ground meat and greens.
Any raw greens that are finely chopped sufficient to cook by way of in a number of minutes in the omelette are excellent right here. If utilizing vegetables that will take longer to cook, for instance, diced zucchini, then saut very first in a small oil and maybe garlic for added flavour, then include to the batter.
How to make Egg Foo Younger
However Egg Foo Youthful fillings differ simply because it’s a leftovers recipe, I’d say prawn/shrimp and pork are the two most common versions so I’m sharing each of these right now.
- Make the Egg Foo Young gravy very first: just soy sauce, Oyster sauce, Chinese cooking wine (Shaoxing wine) OR Mirin*, sesame oil, cornflour/cornstarch for thickening and pepper. Just combine and simmer to thicken
- Pork or other mince/ground meat alternative: If generating a pork or other ground/mince meat edition, combine by means of soy sauce, sugar and oyster sauce to include flavour. Then drop in dollops of the raw pork straight into the egg mixture. Believe in me, it cooks via in the time it takes for the omelette cooks!
- Prawn / Shrimp option: If producing the shrimp version, just drop the raw shrimp straight into the batter. If you’re shrimp are huge, chop them into tiny pieces
- Add greens: Now include what ever vegetables you’re utilizing. In this recipe I use bean sprouts and green onions.
- Cooking Egg Foo Young is no various to cooking a normal omelette! Simple ladle the mixture into a skillet and cook.
- Serve smothered in the tasty Egg Foo Youthful gravy!
Egg Foo Youthful is a Westernised model of a Chinese dish, a lot like a lot of Chinese takeout favourites like Chow Mein and Beef and Broccoli. In China, there are stuffed omelettes but it’s not doused in a thick brown gravy like Egg Foo Younger, they are usually just drizzled with soy sauce.
Egg Foo Youthful is one particular of the healthiest Chinese takeout meals if created at residence! Although eating places tend to cook the omelettes in a Lot of oil, when manufactured at house it’s a minimal body fat, substantial protein, minimal carb dinner choice.
Load it up with extra nutrition by topping it with a handful of additional veggies like fresh bean sprouts, as pictured.
And before you request – YES the Egg Foo Youthful Sauce can be made with Charlie*. Instructions are in Note 1 of the recipe! – Nagi x
* Charlie is my standby All Function Chinese Stir Fry Sauce. Basic to make, lasts for weeks, just include water!
Much more Chinese Takeout Favorites
- Fried Rice
- Spring Rolls
- Cashew Chicken
- Kung Pao Chicken
- Beef and Broccoli
- Char Siu (Chinese BBQ Pork)
- See all Chinese Takeout Recipes
Egg Foo Young
View how to make it
In the video, I created a half batch of every pork and prawn/shrimp Egg Foo Young.
Hungry for more? Subscribe to my newsletter and adhere to along on Facebook, Pinterest and Instagram for all of the newest updates.