This no-bake easy chocolate eclair cake is the recipe my mom utilised to make, and 1 of my family’s favorites. Inspired by the chocolate eclair cake Portillo’s serves, it comes collectively in about 10 minutes—all you have to do is make it the day before you want it, put it down on the table with some forks, and get out of the way.
This cake utilised to be one particular of the most well-liked desserts at the potlucks of my childhood, so I believed it deserved a revisit.
You don’t have to be a baker to layer graham crackers with pudding and whipped topping, and then slather everything in rich chocolate frosting.
Overnight, the refrigerator does all the tough function for you, softening individuals layers into a perfectly sweet, creamy, chocolatey cake that tastes like you worked significantly tougher than you did.
Need to have to make a double or triple batch for a wild party? Click and slide the quantity next to “servings” on the recipe card below to adjust the elements to match how a lot of you’re feeding—the recipe does the math for you, it’s that easy.
What is Chocolate Eclair Cake?
It’s an old fashioned sheet cake that needs no baking and is reminiscent of a chocolate coated, creamy eclair. Manufactured for generations, it utilizes graham crackers, pudding, whipped topping, and your favourite chocolate frosting.
How do you make Chocolate Eclair Cake?
This is just a manual to how you assemble it. The complete recipe is at the bottom of the post.
- In a bowl, combine the pudding and milk collectively right up until smooth.
- Then, gently fold in the whipped topping.
- Alternate layers of graham crackers and pudding mixture in a baking dish.
- Leading with chocolate frosting. Chill.
Can you make Chocolate Eclair Cake with out amazing whip?
This recipe is undoubtedly not from scratch, but if you would rather use whipped cream folded in to the pudding alternatively of the topping, that is absolutely fine. It may possibly be a little softer than the whipped topping, but a few minutes in the freezer to company it up just before cutting is all it will take.
Can you make Chocolate Eclair Cake with canned frosting?
Yes, you can. Actually, keep bought chocolate frosting genuinely performs for this cake! I warm my tub of prepared frosting in the microwave for twenty seconds, stir, then spread. It spreads a lot less difficult.
Can you make Chocolate Eclair Cake with ganache?
I can’t consider of anything much more scrumptious than making your very own thick ganache to pour in excess of this graham crackers.
If you prefer chocolate ganache instead of shop-bought chocolate frosting, you’re in luck. You only need to have three elements to make a wealthy, silky-smooth ganache (recipe courtesy of Ina Garten).
- eight ounces semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1/two cup hefty cream
- one teaspoon quick coffee granules (I identified this at Target)
- Combine all components in a double-boiler and whisk right up until smooth.
- Pour while still warm more than final layer and allow to amazing.
What are some Chocolate Eclair Cake variations?
The attractiveness of this recipe and so many other fridge no-bake sheet cakes is that it’s easy to tweak them into something different and downright wonderful for the people you love. Right here are some excellent twists on the classic:
- Sugar-free of charge, lower-fat Chocolate Eclair Cake: use lower-fat graham crackers, sugar-free of charge pudding with skim milk and body fat-free of charge cool whip.
- Chocolate Eclair Cake with peanut butter: Add 1 cup creamy peanut butter to the pudding and milk, and top the frosting with chopped roasted peanuts.
- Pistachio Chocolate Eclair Cake: Substitute pistachio pudding (who can resist that light green color?) and top the frosting with chopped pistachios.
- Chocolate Vanilla Eclair Cake: Substitute one box chocolate pudding and one box vanilla pudding. Put together the two flavors separately and make the bottom layer chocolate pudding.
- Chocolate Eclair Cake with bananas: Substitute banana pudding and top the frosting with chopped banana chips or toasted walnuts.
- Gluten-free of charge Chocolate Eclair Cake: Substitute gluten-free of charge graham crackers for an easy gluten-free of charge dessert absolutely everyone will adore.
- Chocolate Eclair Cake with saltines: Really like that sweet/salty combo? Make this cake with Club crackers, saltines, or some other crispy, salty cracker.
- Chocolate Eclair Cake with vanilla wafers: Vanilla wafers stand in for graham crackers any day of the week.
How far in advance do you make Chocolate Eclair Cake?
Give this cake at least 8 hours, but those who have infinite quantities of patience make it 24 hours in advance. Great luck waiting!
Can Chocolate Eclair Cake be frozen?
If you’re aiming for image-excellent cut squares of cake, it aids to freeze the cake just before cutting. But if you need to freeze this cake, wrap it tightly in foil and retailer in a zip-leading plastic bag to store in the freezer. It need to preserve effectively up to two months. Thaw the cake overnight in the fridge.